Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hello Everyone!



I have felt compelled to write to you myself, Devin's mom. I have been rereading through the blog from the very beginning tonight, including comments, and in a way it seems as though I am reading someone else's story. I have told "our" story so many times now that I don't even connect to it anymore. I try to live each day as it comes and now that he is home, everything is right in this world again; or so I would like to believe at least. There is a huge part of this story that we have tried very hard to stay away from. I am asked daily by someone about how this injury actually occurred; it is very difficult as a mother not to know exactly myself. One thing has been made very clear to us is that this was NOT an accident. The person who is believed to have caused the injury is currently in jail pending trial for 2 child abuse charges; has a million dollar bail, and we have a restraining order against them. Although I do feel safe with my child in my home, I am wracked with nightmares in which I am transported into the room where Devin was hurt and all I can do is watch, I can't stop it. Each time he is hurt in a different way, as though my brain is trying to figure it out. Sorry we aren't going to be giving out any more information but this person is not convicted yet. We also want to keep this blog more about Devin's recovery as to not upset anyone who still wants to believe that somehow this was just some sort of accident.

This is going to be a long emotional year, but I am hopeful it will still be great, and how can't it not be now that my baby is home. We do have some big news to announce and that is Devin's Surgery has been scheduled for this Thursday, January 5th. The Neurosurgeon said that he is looking good and that he is ready for the skull to be put back in. They were worried if they waited too much longer, the piece they removed would be too small to fit back in. If that does happen we were informed that they will fill in any gaps with medical putty. The wonderful Lori, who has been keeping you all updated up till now, has been such a godsend to us to take on this responsibility. She will continue to update for us whenever any new information is here. Please keep praying for my son and my family. He is home now we are trying to rebuild our life together. It was hard; in one hour on his Birthday, my son changed from this perfectly happy, healthy boy to a potentially permanently disabled boy. We don't love him any less, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't miss how he used to be, or dream about what he could have been. I have faith that our Lord is going to work in him and though him for some great things. Thank you all so very much for being our supporters.

One last note, over the last 2 months I have been blessed to cross paths with some of you. Strangers have somehow heard of my son and followed this blog. It mostly happens when I need uplifting the most, like the woman ringing me up at Staples and asked if I am Devin's mom. To know that so many people I do know, as well as so many I don't, are praying for my son has helped get me through this. So if you see me and my son, please feel free coming up to us and introducing yourself, I would love to meet you all. Also if you feel comfortable, please respond to this post with your name, and how you heard about us, I would like to get to know you all a little better.

Feel free to e-mail me or find me on Facebook:
Katydid8787@hotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/katydid8787

Again thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Katy Adams

14 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you Katy! It's hard to know the right words to say but Devin and your story have touched so many. I heard about you on Facebook through Melissa Johnson and have been following since almost the beginning. I can't imagine what you have been through, having an almost 2 year I can't fathom having someone hurt her and the multi-faceted nightmares you have been living.

    We will continue to pray for you and Devin's full recovery. Good luck this week! Incidentally, I have blogged twice about Devin-hoping to spread the word. I need to do an update. http://www.kim1champ.com/search?q=devin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been praying for you and your son. My mother-in-law (Robin Lammers) told me about your situation. I have told many others too. You have many people praying for you in Indiana. I am so happy he is back with you.

    Lori Lammers=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy your strength just inspires me so much. We love you guys and will be praying for Devin on the 5th for a successful surgery xoxoxo

    Krystyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy,
    It's so good to hear from you. Devin and you have been in my family's prayers this entire time. We are praying for complete healing, as well as for justice. As a mom, I can't imagine what you've been through. But what an amazing testimony to our Lord and Savior. This situation has touched so many lives and made us all appreciate each day with our loved ones and deepen our faith. God bless you and Devin! We love you!
    Lisa Avne & family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, I'm a friend of Tracy Pollards and heard of your story thur FB ..My son that is now 21 years old was on life support at the age of 15 months and I was told several times to say good-bye to him that he wasn't gunna make it..But I refused to say good-bye or even think of life without him..People were praying around the world for my little guy and it was then that I learned positive thinking and the power of prayer. When he came home with me they gave him a life expectancy of 5 years..That again I refused to hear..GOD had special plans for him and he does for Devin..Thur my sons illness he became a diabetic and is now a diabetic counselor for small children and won top honors last summer for his special counseling efforts and teaching children under six to give their own shots..I can see Devin becoming an attorney or counselor for abused children and making a very special difference in this ugly world we sometimes have to live in...From the second I read the story I knew he was a special little guy ...Hang in there Katy put all your faith in our Heavenly Father you are Blessed in more ways than you can see at this time..Just try to always remember to let go and let GOD.And that fear and Faith don't live in the same room. Love you both...GOD Bless... Sheila Waner-Burroughs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy, I get so overwhelmed with emotion when I read this and think back to the beginning. I learned of Devin October 4th. I could not stop crying. I got to bible study and they asked how I was and I burst into tears. I have a teo year old and just looking at him, I couldn't imagine your pain. My wonderful group of friends stopped right then and there and began praying for you and Devin. We haven't stopped since and have spread the word in many ways. I have so much to share with you about the impact of your story but it can wait. I just know I've grown to love you and your little miracle and am thankful to be part of this journey. So many prayers have already been answered. I keep praying for complete healing for you and Devin but either way, Devin is alive and God is Good. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to song my name... The above comment is from me, Silvia Porter

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband used to work with your cousin Dennis, who I am friends with on facebook (as my husband never gets on facebook). Since day one I have been following his posts and this blog. Has been a great impact on our family. I find myself appreciating my four just a little bit more. Praying for you and Devin often. Much love, Veronica. vlwilt2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello katy...thanks for the update..i have been following baby devins story from the beginning and pray for hou often . I heard of this story from dennis mcarther whom I went to school sith in california. Although we werent close I saw something on his profile where he was reaching out for prayers...being a huge fan of God and the power of prayer I started to get interested..I pray for devins speedy recovery and for yohr continued strength. May2012 be filled with many blessings for you and ur family. God bless ...a friend in washington....dolly rowlett

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Katy,
    I heard about Devin and his situation in the first e-mail your mom sent out asking for prayer. My wife and I have been praying ever since and will certainly continue to do so. Stay strong and trust in our Lord's plan for your son and for you.

    May God Bless You
    With His Grace and Peace,
    David & Gayle Bostic

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katydid...right time, right place sweetheart! So very PROUD of you and excited that we can finally put names and hopefully soon faces to these extraordinary prayer warriors. While DEVIN IS the celebration, it time to plan the CELEBRATION! :)loveyouso xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must be one of the strongest people I "know." To have gone through what you have gone through and still hold strong is amazing. I came across your blog through a friend who is a friend of your extended family (I believe that's how it goes anyways). I check in every day to see if there's anything new and I always try to share the news on my facebook page to increase the number of prayers coming your way. Stay strong and I look forward to reading about Devin's continuing recovery from this horrible situation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So great to have an update from Katy! I will be praying for this long road ahead for both you and Devin and specifically praying for his surgery to go smoothly tomorrow. You are such a strong woman and the best mom to Devin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Surgery is scheduled for 10:00 today, Thursday.
    Not sure if it will go yet as Devin may have an infection. We have not heard from the surgeon yet today. He had a urine test, lung xray and more blood work. Poor little guy he has gone through so much the last two days and now the surgery.
    Please keep praying! Thank you all so much!

    ReplyDelete